Links to other sites of interest
This page is not very well organized, but some of these links point
to excellent sites that are very well organized, up-to-date, and
extensive. (Then again, some of them might not lead anywhere.)
Chinese OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
Many Wenlin users have asked us how they can scan Chinese
characters from a printed page and then read them as electronic
text. This requires Chinese OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
software. We have not NOT tested any of these programs, so let the
buyer beware! If you know anything about these or other Chinese OCR
products, we would be interested. The first one, IRIS (with a necessary
"Asian OCR add-on"), was reported by one Wenlin user to work "quite well"
on Windows XP; there is also IRIS for MacOS.
--- Dan Qing(1)
--- Dan Qing(2)
--- ChineseMac OCR info
--- ABBYY FineReader
Chinese Software for Handheld Computers
- Oxford Concise English
and Chinese Dictionary
- Software for PalmOS by Pleco Software Incorporated.
- Chinese Online
- Organized by Prof.
Tianwei Xie at Cal State Long Beach.
- clearchinese.com: Learn Chinese
- Online resources for learning Chinese, also by Tianwei Xie
- A Guide to Writing Mandarin Chinese in Pīnyīn
- Learning Mandarin Chinese
- Free online lessons
- Chinese Language Page (Jim Becker)
- Links to numerous sites
- 1 Month Mandarin
- Intensive Chinese Learning and Study in China
- Free online tools for the Chinese language
- Images of ancient forms of Chinese characters.
Beginning Level Chinese Reading
- The University of Iowa Chinese program.
- Mountain Songs
- Beautiful Chinese poetry, with translations, photos of actual sites and GPS maps.
- Your name in Chinese
- With free downloadable Chinese symbols.
- Wenguzhixin 溫故知新
- Chinese classics: The Book of Odes and more.
- Chinese Herb Names
- From the Chinese Herb Academy.
- A remarkable web-based instant-lookup system.
list of HSK characters
- University of Geneva Chinese Studies Dept.
- Resources for East Asian
Language and Thought
- By Charles Muller (Includes on-line dictionaries of Buddhist terms, etc.)
Chinese Text Sampler
- Collection of Chinese literature for students, organized by the
author of Clavis Sinica.
- Clavis Sinica
- Another software program for learning Chinese.
- Chinese Mac
- All about reading and writing Chinese on Macintosh computers.
- Annotated links to China- and Chinese language and
linguistics-related web sites.
- Collection of a wide variety of Chinese literature.
- Shuhai Wenyuan
- Interactive Internet Worktable for reading ancient Chinese philosophy.
- Yahoo Chinese
- World news in Chinese, full-form characters (Big-5).
Software's Chinese Language Learning Software
- Flashcards, etc., for MS-Windows.
- Voice of America
- World news in Chinese, simple-form characters (GB).
- On-line materials for learning Chinese.
- Rick Harbaugh's Chinese Character Genealogy
- Web-Based Etymological Dictionary for Learning Chinese Characters -- Amazing!
- People's Daily
- Chinese newspaper on-line; there is also
an English version.
- China Books and Periodicals, Inc.
- Great source for books and software.
- Wenxue City -- Chinese literature and news.
- China News Digest WWW SERVER
- Home of HXWZ Chinese Magazine.
Intelligent Database for Standard Chinese Computer Technology
- Hong Kong Computer Society
- UC Davis
Chinese -- Norm Matloff
- Chinese computing, KuaiXue
- Internet Distributed Chinese Magazines
- Macintosh Chinese Page
- Dictionary of Chinese Character
Variants (Taiwan Ministry of Education)
- NJSTAR Chinese / Japanese Software
Berkeley Chinese Program
- San Diego
State University Chinese Program
- HK Star Internet Ltd
- ComStar Information Home
of China / Learn Chinese
Peterson's General Chinese Page
- Chinese University of
- Unicode Home Page
- Some Python helper scripts for Wenlin 3
- By Silas S. Brown at Cambridge University.
Back to the home page of Wenlin Institute
How to order Wenlin
Copyright © 1997-2008 Wenlin Institute, Inc. All Rights Reserved.